Saturday, April 17, 2010

I got a job!

After a couple of long months of looking for jobs, applying for jobs, hoping for a job, being certain that I would never get a job, et cetera ad nauseum, I was called for an interview to be a sub for the District, and I was hired! It was AWESOME. My interview was on a Thursday. I had an "orientation" on the following Tuesday, and was called for my first sub job the next day. Two days after that, spring break started, so I didn't work for ten days after that first job. Figures...you're hired - have a vacation! Oh, well.

I've been stalking the online scheduler website, jumping on every job that pops up. I worked two half days last week. I have three full days and a half day lined up next week. I also have the "real" orientation for new hires next week, so that means I'll have work everyday next week. I also have three days lined up for the following week. Yay!

I am learning from every job, and it occurred to me that I should keep track of what I've learned.

Job 1 - 9 Literacy and 10 English
This was a great first experience. The job was at the high school that I graduated from, so I knew my way around. I knew some of the students from my clinical experiences last year. The only big issue was third hour. The plans suggested that I have students read alone or as a group. They didn't really want to do either, so I made a deal (what was I thinking?!) that they could read in pairs if they read alone for ten minutes. It was pretty noisy and few students got anything done. I was counting down the minutes until the class was over, I have to admit. I spent lunch reading and rereading the story so that I could be prepared for the other class that had to read it. This time, there was no option; I read the story aloud and we discussed it as we went along. I even gave them time to answer some of the questions. Some students slept through it, but they weren't being disruptive, so I let it go. I felt I had to choose my battles.

The teacher requested me for another job, so I must've done something right! :)

Job 2 - 6th grade social studies and math
No major problems here. The teacher warned the students that misbehavior would result in the loss of the end-of-the-year trip, so that provided me with, ahem, ammunition to keep the students on task. One boy finished every activity early and used the time to draw me pictures. Too cute. Only one student was disruptive...I warned her individually and publicly, stood near her, redirected her attention, and finally moved her to a refocus desk. Twice. (She moved because class ended - I had the same students for two class periods. I mentioned this in the note to the teacher. I ended the last class by having the kids tell me bad jokes. Overall, a nice two hours.

Job 3 - HS French
Nothing major or exciting. Two classes did worksheets/review packets. Those classes were very respectful and well behaved. Two classes watched a film/did a worksheet. I didn't know how long the film would be and I had to keep asking students to be quiet during the first class. When I discovered that the entire film was 23 minutes, I was able to come up with a better plan for the second class: if they could be quiet and pay attention during the film, they could talk quietly for the rest of class. Good deal, I think. The second class was better behaved and more respectful. I think this had more to do with the students than the plan, but I'll take it! After the film, the students talked and then a group of them started playing hackey sack. I had to laugh...kids played that when I was in high school. I closed the door and told them that they had to be quiet and not break anything. It was pretty entertaining to watch. In the back of my mind, I thought, "this is probably really wrong..." but I was okay with it. We had completed the work left by the teacher and the students were being quiet and non-disruptive. When I asked them to sit down for the last 5 minutes of class, they immediately sat down. Wow! I wonder if they'll tell their teacher that I let them play and if she'd be mad.

That's it in a nutshell. Some thoughts:
- With the exception of the class period that I read the story aloud, the material that was left for me was never enough to fill the class periods. I always had awkward time at the end of class.
- At the first job, I didn't get a sub folder with the little details in it, which wasn't a big deal, but would've been nice for my first job. For example, her plans didn't say that we had homeroom, where the homeroom was (in the theater with about 10 other classes, so I didn't even know where to go), or what to do with her TA. Just little things, really.
- Subbing is (unfortunately) a lot like babysitting. I dread high school jobs a little because I don't think my classroom management is strong enough with the older kids.
- I have a few elementary jobs lined up. I wonder what that will be like...I haven't been in an elementary school in many, many years.
- Still holding out for a full time position for next year. I hope that this position will open doors for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment